Many congratulations to Nuatali Nelmes, who has been elected as Lord Mayor of Newcastle, New South Wales. This follows the election last month of her Labor Party colleague Tim Crakanthorp as the new Member of the New South Wales State Parliament to represent Newcastle. Both Nuatali and Tim come to their new positions from having been Newcastle City Councillors.
The mayoral election result (15 November) was:
– Nuatali Nelmes (Labor): 29,885 (42.94%)
– Brad Luke (Independent): 15,915 (22.87%)
– Therese Doyle (Greens): 9967 (14.32%)
– Aaron Buman (Independent): 7836 (11.26%)
– David Chapman (Independent): 3533 (5.08%)
– Rod Holding (Independent): 1323 (1.90%)
– Joe Ferguson (Australia First): 1143 (1.64%)
Married to Stuart and with three young children, Nuatali studied at Newcastle High School and then the University of Newcastle NSW, and has been working for the trade union United Voice.
She was first elected to Newcastle City Council in 2008. Nuatali has lived in Newcastle for many years, and is active in a wide range of community work.
Contact details: firstname.lastname@example.org